What is Black Mold
At SERVPRO® of Winchester we routinely get the question, “how do I know if I have black mold? Well, it’s not easy to answer because there are thousands of types of mold that grow. However, it is important to know that visible colonies of mold, regardless of the type, is unacceptable in the home or office, where people reside, or spend a significant amount of time.
Black mold is just one type of mold, and like any other type of mold, it can cause serious health problems to the occupants of a home or office when it is thriving in large colonies. In this article, we’re going to attempt to answer the most common concerns regarding black mold, such as common symptoms, how it thrives, and what can be done in order to prevent it from growing in your home or office.
What are the Symptoms of Black Mold?
Common symptoms resulting from black mold include irritations to the eyes, nose, and throat, coughing, sneezing, headaches, fatigue and nausea. If the exposure is prolonged these symptoms can worsen to include vomiting, internal bleeding, and bleeding from the nose.
How Does Black Mold Grow?
Black mold, thrives in an environment composed of high water content and low nitrogen content. That means a damp place that does not get a lot of air. You can imagine, for example, that if you spill a gallon of water onto a floor with long fiber carpet that area can be a breeding ground for mold if it is not properly dried.
How Can We Prevent Mold Growth?
Mold, being a common thing in our world, grows almost everywhere, so we cannot get rid of it entirely. However, it’s only when it starts to grow excessively, or when colonies start to form that it becomes a health concern to humans. This usually happens after some type of water damage such as a leaky ceiling or a burst pipe. If you have had water damage in your home or office there are some preventative measures you should take.
First, you should make sure that the affected area has been dried thoroughly. Remember, many types of carpet will need to be removed to be dried because if the water has been trapped underneath your floor or carpet you will likely have mold growth.
After drying the water-damaged area a quick cleaning with soap and water, or a bleach solution is in order. This will help kill any potential mold growth in the area. Also, the use of a dehumidifier once you have finished cleaning the area will assure that there is no moisture left.
SERVPRO® of Winchester is a leader in mold remediation. If you have mold and need help contact us today, we’re always here to help!